Listen to Turtle..
Bitcoin Rules to Live By.
Safe Trading Tips for bitcoin-OTC.com
1. Never trade with someone who isnít authenticated (;;ident).
2. Never trade with someone who doesnít have a long and good AND RECENT trade history. (check ;;gettrust, ;;events).
3. Never trust anyone on a proxy / tor / vpn / vps.
4. Anyone with the words Ďbtcí or Ďbitcoiní in their name is automatically suspect.
5. Never lend bitcoin.
6. Donít trust anyone from
7. Donít trust anyone from
8. Donít EVER talk about your money, worth, or wealth. (and don't listen to those that do)
9. Donít leave large sums in shared or online wallets. (or other online games or services)
10. Encrypt your wallet.
11. If someone is scammer tagged, donít give them the benefit of the doubt.
12. High yield investment programs (HYIP) or loans are pretty much always scams.
13. Never let someone control your computer ( Teamviewer / Skype scams).
14. There are no tricks to avoid chargebacks when converting USDollars.
15. People with good reps can turn bad or get in a bad spot. Having a good rep does not mean they will never scam.
16. Break up large transactions into smaller ones, preferably with multiple people.
17. Never trust a man who ďjust movedĒ to
18. Donít trust someone who canít speak proper English or your language of choice.
19. Itís ok to demand to see someoneís identification. ( I believe for larger trades, you should know exactly who you are dealing with)
20. Donít trade with someone you canít press charges against or that is geographically inconvenient for you to show up at their house.
∑ See Number #6
21. Get it in writing. itís easier to state your case and enforce an agreement if itís formalized.
∑ a chat log is ok.
∑ a gpg dual-signed piece of text is better.
∑ spell out the arrangement
∑ avoid ambiguity
∑ include specific dates, times and amounts, etc.
22. Donít trust fast talkers, sweet talkers or smooth talkers. Those that have 'Done it All', probably have scammed also.
23. If someone gets agitated when you ask questions, they were probably trying to scam you.
24. If you meet someone face-to-face, meet in a public place.
25. Many people offer escrow. use it. BUT ONLY IF YOU TRUST THE PERSON OFFERING ESCROW.
26. Pay your taxes. itís better than getting ass-raped in jail.
27. Donít trust gamblers, addicts, or people who are constantly broke.
28. Beware trailing Ď or ` or _ characters in names.
29. Donít let someone tell you they are ďhighly ratedĒ when they arenít. And revisit rule #2 about LONG TIME ratings.
30. Someone buying just to build ratings is suspicious. this goes for the OTC, btcjam, or anywhere else. beware.
31. Donít use paypal. - come on. people tell you this all the time. and for a reason.
32. You will eventually hear someone say ďcome on, itís not like Iím going to scam someone for just 2 bucksĒ.
33. Donít trust anyone on bb.sky.
34. People with non-random X's ending their name are highly likely to be a scammer.
35. Unsolicited messages / spam / requests to trade are almost always scams.
36. Trust your gut. It is a powerful tool for catching scammers.
37. Set up both gpg and bitcoin address authentication in OTC.
38. ....And always remember that Nobody listens to turtle :(
-- Amended January 4, 2017 --
Original un-edited cultofturtle.com text can be found here: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=hKkrv3YS
This Page and Domain currently maintained by The New Keeper of the Shell.
Donations Welcomed: †1GRWGdGcERc7sikhx3GeBhiY1eobMbXotv